Canadians pay a steep price for gender-based violence. It is reported that in Canada, 1 woman is killed every six days by her intimate partner. Canadians spend an average of $7.4 billion every year to deal with the aftermath of spousal violence alone.
Who is Impacted by Gender-Based Violence
- Women and girls see a large proportion of gender-based violence
- Men also experience violence and face difficulty in accessing support
- Non-binary individuals experience a great deal of difficulty in getting acceptance because their existence is outside of the gender binary.
- Indigenous women and POC face higher rates of gender based discrimination
Gender Based Violence: It's Everyone's Problem
25% of women will experience a sexual assault during their university years. Everyone can play a role in helping eradicate gender-based violence in our communities. The process starts when we commit ourselves to become part of the solution before it becomes a violent problem.
Here are some of the ways VOICE will help empower others to end gender-based violence:
- Raise awareness around issues of gender-based violence
- Equip athletes and community leaders to take leadership roles in addressing gender-based violence
- Mobilize coaches and provide them with holistic programming to build better culture
- Meet young men and boys where they live, play and spend time together
- Work alongside and in coordination with partners and community service providers to end gender-based violence